Remember: you are responsible for your own safety and for the safety of those around you.
When you are participating in primitive camping, there are many ways to make sure that your experience is fun and safe.
Consider the following basic tips:
- Bring emergency supplies: first aid kit, map, compass, flashlight, knife, waterproof fire starter, shelter, whistle, warm clothing, high energy food, water, water-purifying tablets, and insect repellant.
- Know how to perform CPR and basic first aid.
- Check the weather report before you leave home.
- Check for hazards at your campsites: hazardous trees and terrain, flood prone areas, poison ivy, ant beds, etc.
- Ensure your campfire is tended when in use, and fully extinguished when no longer in use.
- Dispose of trash properly. Pack it in. Pack it out: if you bring something that becomes trash, then take that trash back out with you.