Remember: you are responsible for your own safety and for the safety of those around you.
Backpacking is a wonderful way to see and experience the many wonders of our nation’s forests. Please follow these safety tips to ensure a safe journey:
- Leave your itinerary with a friend or family member; check in with them upon your return.
- Develop an emergency plan before you start your trip.
- Take frequent rests or vary your pace to maintain your energy.
- Drink plenty of water, even on cool, wet days.
- Do not drink your entire water supply between refills.
- Wear appropriate clothing; wear comfortable boots already broken-in.
- Pack as light as possible but consider these essentials: map, sun protection, flashlight, matches, first aid kit, water and a water purification system, high energy food, and extra clothing.